(678) 923-4602 karen@dukeswayacademy.com

Dr. Karen – Kids Life Coach

Mar 29, 2020 | Articles | 0 comments

How to explain the power of the subconscious mind to your kid?

Understanding the subconscious mind… It is amazing! 

The true test of whether you understand something is to explain it to a kid and see if they get it! This is totally true, so if you are up for it, read this to your beautiful child(ren), age 9 – 12, and let’s see if they get it…One way of explaining how your mind works is to divide it into two parts: your conscious and your subconscious.  

Your conscious mind is like the tip of an iceberg because it makes up a tiny part of your thinking (about 5%). That means you are only aware of about 5 thoughts out of every 100 thoughts you think.  Your subconscious mind is the rest of the iceberg, the bit you can’t see, the bit that is under the water. This bit makes up almost all of your thinking (the other 95%).  

The thoughts you know you are thinking, or the thoughts you are ‘aware of’ are in your conscious mind. You might be aware of what you are reading or hearing right now, or you might be thinking of something that happened at school today, or you might be noticing what your brother is doing as he walks past. All of your conscious thoughts end up in your subconscious. In fact, they go in there as soon as you stop ‘thinking’ them. You can get lots of these back out of your subconscious by remembering them.

Here try this…When is your birthday?  What is your address?  What did you have for breakfast this morning?

The answers to these questions were thoughts that came out of your subconscious into your conscious and then when you focused on the next question they went back into your subconscious again.

All the thoughts you are not aware of right now are in your subconscious. Some subconscious thoughts keep your body alive and safe. You don’t have to consciously think, ‘breath’, ‘digest’ and ‘move your foot’ when you drop something. Your subconscious also stores all your memories, experiences, and beliefs. Neuroscientists (scientists who study the brain) tell us that our subconscious mind is way more powerful than our conscious mind. Some suggest it is thousands of times more powerful.   Okay, let’s look at an example… If you say in your conscious mind, “I am good at reading” but your subconscious mind already believes, “I am hopeless at reading” then your subconscious mind will send a message to your conscious mind to tell you that it is not true and that you are not good at reading.

In fact your subconscious mind will also find evidence or examples that support the belief that you are not good at reading and you will remember these in your conscious mind. Like when you had to do Hooked On Phonics, or when you were on a low level when everyone else in your class was reading chapter books or when someone laughed at you reading out loud. When you remember these experiences you feel terrible and your conscious mind agrees, “Yep, I am hopeless at reading.” Another powerful thing your subconscious does is it makes your beliefs come true for you. That means that whatever you believe in your subconscious will seem to be true to you, even if it isn’t true in real life.  Please read this several times…think about this (smile).

You May Also Like

Dukesway Main Purpose

Dukesway Academy’s main purpose is to provide children from elementary to high school age, of...

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *